Welcome to the WLM Public Website!
WLM was a randomized clinical trial funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI).
WLM participating institutions included the following:
- Phase I was a 6-month initial weight loss intervention
- 1685 participants
- Began in August 2003 and ended in December 2004
- Phase II was a randomized 30-month trial that compared two alternate maintenance strategies - personal contact and interactive technology - to a control condition
- 1032 participants (those who lost 4 kg in Phase I)
- Began in February 2004 and ended in June 2007
The WLM protocol was approved by an Institutional Review Board at each participating site and by an NHLBI-appointed Protocol Review Committee. All participants provided written informed consent.
- Four clinical centers:
- Duke University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Pennington Biomedical Research Center
- Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest
- A coordinating center: Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest