You’re invited to join a research study about COVID-19
The CASCADIA study will help us learn more about how often COVID-19, flu and RSV occur among children and adults. The study will also help us learn how well COVID-19 vaccines work to prevent COVID-19 infections and illness.
Study activities include weekly nasal swabs and annual blood draws.
Closed to Enrollment
Who Can Join?
The CASCADIA study is inviting people to join who:
- Are 6 months to 49 years of age
- Live in or around Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington. Your home address must be in our study area as our drivers are only able to pick up swabs from certain zip codes.
- You do not need to be vaccinated to participate.
Whole households, or just children can sign up (even if adults do not take part).
If you are interested in joining or signing your child(ren) up for the CASCADIA study, the first step is to answer questions to find out if you are eligible.Closed to Enrollment
The study is being done by Kaiser Permanente Northwest Center for Health Research (CHR), the University of Washington (UW), and Seattle Children's Hospital (SCH), in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
If you are eligible and decide to join the Cascadia study, your participation could last up to 4 years.
Study activities will include the following:
- When you join: Complete an online questionnaire and provide a blood sample at a study clinic
- Weekly: Collect and send nasal swabs and answer brief symptom survey questions
- Monthly: Complete online surveys about yourself or your child/household
- Collect extra nasal swabs if you get sick and provide us with information about symptoms
- Annually: Provide a blood sample at a study clinic
- Optional: Blood draws if you become sick with COVID-19 or get a COVID vaccine
We will test your swab for SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) and other viruses that cause a similar illness. We will provide test results every week.
Yes, for being in the study you will receive:
- $25 for completing the enrollment visit and blood collection
- $25 for each blood draw
- $10 for every month you complete weekly surveys and nasal swabs (can be up to $120 per year)
- $20 for each set of illness swabs
If you are a Seattle-area participant, we will provide $25 for transportation and parking costs for research study visits.
If you are a Portland-area participant, we will provide $10 for transportation costs for research study visits.